Vegetarian style - One Pot Veggie and Cheese
This is a quick healthy and tasty vegetarian dish idea using high protein, high acid cheeses that do not melt and can be cubed or sliced then browned.
Look for: Paneer, wagashi cheese, halloumi, or queso panela.
I will use Paneer in this example as I am familiar with it specifically.
What you will need:
- 5 cups red baby potatoes, rinsed and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into medium thick slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into medium thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into medium thick slices
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced into chunks
- 1/2 onion, sliced into medium thick slices
- 10-12 oz paneer cheese cut into medium sized cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (you can also use sunflower oil or coconut oil if preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground hot pepper, like cayenne (optional)
- 5 teaspoon garlic powder or minced garlic (or both because we like garlic!)
- 1- 1.5 tablespoon Daisy Oaks Ranch “Little Taste of Italy” or whatever Italian seasoning you have on hand. The cheese is bland in flavor so you may want to add a bit more.
- ¾ cup low-sodium veggie broth
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- I find it easier to prepare all of the ingredients at one time and have them ready to roll when you need them so the first step is to wash and cut all items and place them in bowls.
- In a heavy bottomed pot (I like to use the cast iron or ceramic coated cast iron pots), heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cut baby potatoes to the pot and season lightly with salt and pepper. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, around 8-10 minutes, stirring a few times. Remove potatoes from the pot and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium high heat and in the same pot, (not washed from cooking potatoes) brown the cubed cheese on all sides in chosen oil. Remove the cheese from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot (not washed from cooking other items) Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes with remaining cooking oil. Add the bell peppers and zucchini to the same pot and season with red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes, until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked cheese, and potatoes back to the pot and mix everything together. Add vegetable broth and cook for 5 minutes more. Adjust seasoning if needed and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!